Wednesday, April 6, 2011

5 Stars x 9? Really?

I am a huge fan of user reviews in general. Yelp, for instance, insures I almost never have a bad meal when eating out.

I am also a huge fan of the reader reviews on Amazon. And today, I saw something there I have never seen.

Once a book has more than 10 reviews, it's rare that it will retain 5 stars. It happens, but not that often. Take a look at some of the best books out there in your opinion, and you'll see what I mean.

I heard about a customer-centric B2B sales book called Slow Down, Sell Faster by Kevin Davis. I went to Amazon, and was impressed to see that it had 23 reviews...and 5 stars. Then I saw something that really surprised me.

As I scrolled down, I saw the section of the page where Amazon lists the 8 books also purchased by people who bought this one. Every one of them were on sales...and every one of them had 5 stars too!

Pretty sure I had never seen this before, I tested this theory by looking at 20 of my favorites. Just as I suspected. Not even close.

So what's the source of this irrational exuberance over all these books on sales? Could it be that sellers themselves are easily sold on the latest and greatest sales "secret sauce"?

Maybe if you want to sell more...you should sell sales books!

No comments:

Post a Comment