Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Connectors and a New Ear of Opportunity (er...Era)

I've been watching a fascinating exchange lately.

A couple of small businesses I follow on Twitter have been communicating with each other about a potential deal for one due to the need of the other.

The connection came about for a few reasons.

One, the company in need, instead of doing their own research on who could provide their need, just put it out there on Twitter. "Hey, we need this. Help."

Two, I saw the need, thought of the providing company, and told the company in need: "Hey, check these folks out."

The fascinating part though is how the relationship has developed. As far as I can see, it's all been via Tweets between the two companies. All out there for anyone to see. Essentially, public email exchanges (or text messages I suppose given the short length).

It really is a new era of transparency, connection...and opportunity. (Interesting Freudian slip. When I first wrote this, I wrote "ear of...opportunity". It's that too...if you're listening to the right media channels.)

In some recent consulting engagements, I was surprised to see how unfamiliar some sales teams, leaders, and individuals were with the social media tools available to them. Following unfamiliarity were disinterest, and often, disdain.

Much as I hate to say it, there was a significant correlation to age when it came to acceptance of the new tools that are out there. This kind of phenomenon has been well documented.

What hasn't been has been lost opportunity and commissions...

No comments:

Post a Comment