Wednesday, April 8, 2009

THERE'S A TRACTOR WAITING FOR YOU TOO...

With The Masters starting in Augusta in less than 36 hours, my thoughts are definitley on golf much of the day lately. That's not to say there aren't some great lessons you can take from that game and apply to business and life. You could write books (as some have) just on that subject.

One is standing out to me right now though. When Arnold Palmer left the family farm to pursue his career on the links, his father had some very simple advice..."When you go, do what you know how to do, and when you need me call me."

Pretty good leadership stuff from a farmer in Latrobe, PA. And then he added something brilliant... "If you listen to everyone's advice, I'll keep the tractor here in Latrobe for you." Arnold took that funny swing of his and his super-aggressive style and became a legend.

I don't know what your "tractor" is, or where your "Latrobe" is. But, if you don't heed the lesson of Arnold's dad, you'll be headed somewhere you don't want to go. Do what you know, call very few people when you need help. Don't listen to everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment